1. Always RAISE your HAND if you have a question.
2. NEVER take advice from your opponent, raise your hand.
3. NEVER take advice from your neighbor, raise your hand.
4. If you are disputing the win or loss with your opponent after you've signed out, it will end in a stalemate.
5. Do not offer advice to either your opponent, or neighbor. Doing that can be constructed as cheating.
6. If you think an illegal move has been made, raise your hand.
7. If you are in check, your next move must stop the check.
8. There are three ways to stop check. Block the check, take the attacking piece, move out of the way.
9. If a king (yours or the opponents) can be taken, the last move (if not more) was illegal.
10. If you touch a piece (with intent), you must take that piece. Further, if you touched it with a piece of yours, you must take it with that piece. (EX. if you touch a pawn with your bishop, you cannot then take it with your knight).
11. CHESS IS A QUIET GAME. THERE WILL BE NO TALKING.
12. There is no need, or rule requiring you or your opponent to say that you are in "CHECK".
13. If you are in check, and you don't notice and you touch a piece, you must stop the check with that piece, if a legal move doing so can be made.
14. If you don not know for sure how to castle, or move en passant, raise your hand to have it explained to you before possibly making an illegal move.
15. The game ends in either a win for one player or a stale mate (tie).
16. There are four ways to stale mate a player. Stalemate--when the player to move has no legal moves and is not in check.
Threefold repetition--when the same position occurs three times with same player to move.
The 50 move rule--when the last 50 successive moves made by both players contain no capture or pawn move.
A draw--occurs when neither player has sufficient material to checkmate the opponent or when no sequence of
legal moves can lead to checkmate.
17. If you are a Primary or an Elementary player you must get an official to make sure that your game is over.
18. Remember once you set up your board after the match has been completed you and your opponent MUST walk together and sign out of that round.